From time to time, we all need a good detoxing to cleanse out our systems and leave us feeling rejuvenated and energized. There are so many contaminants that we may come in contact with on a regular basis that detoxing or cleansing the body is an absolute must even if it is done only once a year. These toxins leave us feeling sluggish, fatigued, and drained. Cleansing when done correctly can help the body rid itself of toxins and heal itself.
Recognizing the Symptoms of Detoxing
When you detox your body may go through a series of changes which may include skin rashes, nausea, sore throat, and the possibility of flu-like symptoms. Other symptoms experienced can be as follows.
- Mood swings
- Diarrhea or
- Stomach Cramps
- Food Cravings
How to Ease Symptoms of Cleansing / Detoxing
- Drink plenty of water – more than your daily requirement
- Eat plenty of fibrous vegetables
- Eat fruits with a high water content
- Eat lots of greens – green smoothies are a great way to get a lot of greens into your diet in one sitting
- Remove all meats and animal by-product from your diet
- Avoid all caffeine products
- Avoid sugar ( beverages and foods)
- Avoid all processed, prepackaged foods
- No eating out, i.e no fast foods, fried or greasy meals
- Exercise – light to moderate exercise will do, so don’t overwork or physically stress out your body
- Make time to relax and de-stress
- Take relaxing baths and or showers and give yourself a vigorous rub down to get you blood flowing
- Alternate hot and cold water during showers to encourage better circulation
- Dry skin brushing – use a good quality boar bristle brush to help get rid of dead skin and encourage blood circulation
- Give yourself a lymphatic massage – you can also get this done at a reputable massage parlor – the lymphatic system helps rid the body of toxins
Retraining your Body to Eat Healthy
If you had engaged in the years of eating unhealthy foods you might find this a little bit easier after detoxing to switch to healthy foods. This is because when the body undergoes cleansing, it’s like hitting a reset button and the palate which plays a role in one’s sense of taste is cleansed as well – this helps rid you of cravings and the taste for the unhealthy foods that you used to eat.
Treat your body like a temple and give it some love and appreciation by giving it the break it deserves by providing it with some much-needed cleansing. But do not go overboard with the cleansing and do listen to your body when it comes to the symptoms of detoxing. Be sure to follow the aforementioned tips to help reduce the symptoms of detoxing and plan ahead to help make your cleanse that much more pleasant. And remember, it is always good to listen to your body and if you need to go slowly, then do so instead of rushing through your cleanse. After all, you do not want to stress your body out even more. You are in the business of rejuvenating and reenergizing your body not the opposite.