Here is a quick recipe for making bread from one of the ancient grains, spelt. This Spelt Bread Recipe is super easy to make and is one of our favorites.
Spelt is much like our current day wheat flour when it comes to measurements and in some regards when it comes to texture as well. It does have its own unique taste, but nothing too overpowering or hard to stomach.
Because of its nature and overall characteristics, spelt can often times be substituted on a 1:1 ratio with wheat flour and the end result of baked goods be overall quite similar.
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
1-2 ripe bananas (optional)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Coconut Oil (or canola oil)
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
1/4 cup agave syrup
2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven for 10 minutes on 350⁰F
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mash the bananas, then combine with wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until thick dough forms.
- Mix dough for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in baking pan or loaf pan.
- Let dough rest for about 5 minutes or
- Place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center of loaf comes out clean.
- Remove loaf from oven and let the loaf cool for 20 minutes. Then slice and enjoy as a side or breakfast.